What's cup!

So, due to Winter(tm), and the associated weather, my outside brewing has been limited, lately.  Instead, I've got three batches of mead burbling away.  One is a traditional, made with Radish and Christmasberry honeys; the second is a Blackberry/Raspberry melomel, with these berries in some blackberry honey; the third is my wife's popular Cranberry, with varietal honey and two pints of homemade cranberry sauce.  The ciders from the fall (2.5 gallons of perry, 5 gallons of apple) are seemingly quite happy, as well--settling out and clearing nicely.

So, given the abundance of "free time," I've been playing with wood.  But not just any playing--no, being me, this is SCA playing.

I wish I could say that I'm using period tools, but I'm just not there yet.  (Yes, I did say 'yet.')  I'm working up to using period materials--I want to get some basic skillsets down before I go whole-hog and pay the pretty pennie$ necessary for the right wood varieties.  So, I'm practicing on and off with chest-making; I've got a pair of Mastermyr-style chests done.  I really like them--the sloped sides are aesthetically pleasing to me--but finding hardware is a pain.  I'm working up to being able to make my own--but blacksmithing is a whole 'nother skillset...

Most of the fun, though, has been woodturning: bowls, cups, and plates.
Drinking vessels, in assorted birch, maple, ash, and cherry. Banana for scale.
 It's relatively early days, yet.  I'm almost to where I really want to be with the basics--I don't have to do much post-processing (sanding), if I take my time and work methodically.  Still, I'm running 45 minutes to an hour per vessel; I might be able to bring it to more like 30 minutes, given enough practice.

I'm doing quite a bit of study, too, to find period-appropriate shapes and styles.  Oddly enough, wood types matter here, too, although it's not quite as crucial.  Most of what I've been turning have been drinking bowls and cups--and they tended to be maple, ash, or birch, depending on what part of the world you were looking at.  (Maple seemed to be a universal; ash and birch--mostly ash--were popular in Russia, while alder and birch seemed to be favored in England.)

So, I'm doing up a class, for Gemutlichplatz (a semi-local event, focused on brewing and brewers), on turned wooden drinking vessels.  I hope to have enough examples to do a bit of drinking with them, too.

But a thought which struck me, recently: how much demand is there, in the SCA community, for period wooden drinking vessels?  Is there enough to support my getting a business license, and peddling them at the odd event or two?  Perhaps an Etsy shop?  I've been thinking about this more than a little bit, lately...  Perhaps three "tiers" of wares, to start:
At the least, it might support my hobbies somewhat--even if only to make the turning sustainable.  (Woodturning is an amazingly fun way to make a whole lot of wood shavings...)  I have designs, eventually, on making some pottery and pit-firing it, too--probably using the shavings from turning--which might find its way, eventually, into the second or third tier of the storefront.  Add in carved things (spoons, bowls--particularly the big dough/bread trays), and it starts looking really interesting.

I plan on gauging the reaction at Gemutlichplatz, and asking a few trusted individuals between now and then, and making my decision towards spring.  If I do go for it, it wouldn't be before fall; I'd have to build up an inventory.  What say you, good Reader?  Is there interest? 

Labels: , , , , , , ,