It's been a year...

And far too long, really, since I did anything with this blog.  It's high time I started updating it again, I think.  Life has kind of been tossed into the air of late, and shows no indication of landing before Midsummer, so my updates may be rather spotty, but I'll do what I can to keep things moving.

Without further ado, here's what I've been up to lately:

I'm busy doing a translation of a late-period (~1575) German book on beer.  I've got a rough version of one chapter down, and hope to do at least two more of the five total.  (The first chapter looks like a long-winded intro; the last chapter seems to rehash the first.  I'll do quick down-and-dirty runs through those, to double check, and revise my goals as needed.)  Among other things, there is a discussion of the ingredients of beer (water, barley and/or wheat, and hops--yeast is mentioned as an aside in one paragraph, not as an "ingredient"), as well as the characteristics that define good and bad beers, and what I've been terming a "beer tour of northern Germany," listing over 100 towns/villages and the types of beer that are brewed there.

I've also been playing with other things that I'll be detailing here.  Even if they aren't exactly beer-related, I feel they fit with the overall theme of the blog (hand-crafted, artisanal-type things).  I'm moving into cured meats, and will be posting about them from time to time; I've done a reasonable (and simple!) duck-breast prosciutto, and am currently sourcing pork bellies to make bacon.

All this, and I've done a little brewing, too.  Given the above-mentioned "up-in-the-air" factor, not nearly as much as I'd like, but there's been a little.  As soon as things settle somewhat, I hope to get firmly back into the swing of brewing at least monthly.  I also hope to be able to expand things somewhat on that front; I'll fill in info on that in a future post.

Thanks for sticking with me, and it's great to be back!

Labels: , ,