Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another Brew Perking Away...

I decided, after some soul-searching, to use my snow-melt to do an American IPA of sorts last weekend. I went with straight Warrior hops, and am (so far) quite pleased with how they have turned out--the smell was fantastic, and exactly what I expect from a good brew. It wasn't a SMaSH brew, as I used some Munich and Crystal malts; my main departure from the IPA realm was in my use of a lager yeast. That's right--this is a single-hop, American India Pale Lager. I named it "Snow Warrior," due to the snow-melt (duh) and the hops; my reasoning for lagering this brew is to continue with the "cold" theme. I anticipate that this will be quite lovely in mid-July...

All that aside, I'll be brewing again this upcoming weekend. I plan on being a bit more "traditional" this time; I'll probably do another English Bitter, although I've been hankering after an American Amber for a little while. I've still time to decide; with my Pacific Jade hops (combined with a few other things I've got laying around), I can probably swing something tasty.
In addition to my brew this weekend, my friend Elphinstone will be brewing something. I believe he plans to do a Bohemian Pils, or perhaps something more in the "lite lager" range (I believe he's using a recipe based on one or another Canadian lager).

I think my next "experimental" batch--possibly in the late March time frame--will be a single-malt, all Munich brew. I may lean a little traditional on it, and make it a lager--rather Vienna-like--but then, I prefer something a little more assertive in the hops. I guess time will tell...

No comments:

Recommended Books