Return from a veritable Beer Wasteland

So, I've recently returned from visiting my parents in the lovely state of Georgia. Unfortunately, draconian beer laws there have only relatively recently been repealed, so good brews are somewhat hard to find. My father, fortunately, knows my preferences, and got a case of Sam Adams (perhaps my favorite non-homebrew beer) before I come down.

I've friends who goggle at the thought of me drinking Budweiser (from a can, no less!) at the VFW while in GA. I generally come back with the explanation that I'll typically choose the "best of what's available, for what I'm thirsty for" from whatever the selection is. Bud's good, for a mass-produced American Lager--I've got to give them points for consistency. But really, I should probably start doing something like ordering a Coke when I'm there.

My Lady Wife wants me to brew up a couple of batches of something--probably a "Premium American Lager"--and bring them, kegged, when we visit in December. I'm mulling it over--I've got a few things I'd like to put together, first, such as a filtration system for the beer. The HERMS project is on hold, temporarily, but it will probably get picked up again in a month or so.

Next week, I'll be in Pensacola, Florida. Does anyone have recommendations for good local brews?

Labels: , ,